As I write my blog today, I find myself reflecting on the fragility of life.
Today is my first son, Isaiah’s 28th birthday. I am as proud as any mother could be for the man of strength and integrity Isaiah has become.
As we celebrate 28 years of his life, sadly, Isaiah had to say goodbye to a good friend and colleague of his last week.
Isaiah’s friend, Matt, was a healthy 34 year old, who unexpectedly collapsed while the two of them talked about their day. After relentless efforts to keep him breathing failed, Matt passed away in my son’s arms.
Pure emotion poured from Isaiah when I got his call. My heart grieved with his, and I grasped for every word and thought that I could find to comfort my son through his traumatic sadness from the loss of his good friend.
As fragile as life is, it moves on, with or without us…Matt, may you rest in peace.
I often make mention of feeling grateful, and that each day I aim to meet with full appreciation, not taking any of the life given to me for granted.
Today, I felt moved to mention several special blessings I am truly grateful for, and acknowledge how much I sincerely appreciate each and every one of them.
- My family and my good friends’ unconditional love, support and memories that are held between us.
- Living a gentle, comforting, and peaceful life on one of Earth’s most beautiful places.
- Being in good health (knock on wood) with a sense of being happy in my own skin.
- Having spiritual awareness and appreciation of the human experience.
- Being an optimistic, sympathetic, and forgiving person.
- The good, the bad, and the ugly times in my life that have helped to shape the person I am today. They taught me that everything happens for a reason.
- My successes and my failures, the beacons that help steer my life’s direction.
- Having the means to live comfortably, travel, and plan great adventures shared with loved ones.
It’s your turn…
Please take a moment to sit quietly, and reflect on the blessings in your life.
Then, breathe in a full appreciation for them all.